The Christmas present projects are going fairly well now. I am hand quilting the Cross-Stitched Tulips quilt top, and adding more organisms to the Charley Harper water drop quilt. It’s actually beginning to look doable after all.
These pillowcases with the beautiful crocheted edging were purchased on Ebay. The crochet design is so unusual with its geometric look, that I thought I would try more stylized embroidery designs, rather than my normal florals. Both of these patterns appear on one page of the 1886 J. F. Ingalls catalog, a resource I have used several times for pillowcase patterns. The original scans were uploaded by John Governale, but a cleaned up copy is available in Luann’s (Embroiderist) Flickr set.
The embroidered rick-rack was sort of an afterthought. Because of the hemstitching, I had to place the design higher than usual, which left a fairly large blank area that I felt needed to be filled in with something. I tried several smallish Ingalls borders, but nothing looked quite right. Finally I remembered this peachy-colored rick-rack trim I removed from a vintage feedsack tablecloth before making it into an apron for the bridal shower. If I didn’t have that tiny hoarding tendency, I might have thrown away that used rick-rack.